When Autumn Calls: Easy Plum Crumble Recipe
So it turns out you lot are mega pudding fans, making y’all my kind of crew. We aren’t often in the habit of sharing foodie fun but as soon as Autumn takes hold, I eat everything. Pegs, carrier bags, small children, literally, I am a predator at this time of year. The dog thinks she’s safe. Ha. So when our neighbour turned up with a bag of plums, I did what one must do when their neighbour turns up with a bag of plums. I made an easy plum crumble.
This is a growing trend by the way. Every time someone turns up at our house with fruit, you better bet it’s going right in a crumble. Because, quite frankly, I am not Bary Merry nor do I pretend to be. We happened to have oranges in the house due to cocktail-gate so I thought “duck it”, why not chuck in an orange?! It worked. We lived. And now I’m sharing.
Easy Plum Crumble Ingredients
For the plum filling
- Plums, stones removed and chopped. It doesn’t really matter how many plums you use. I used around 10 little baby plums so you can use 5 big ones. Please yourself. Just as long as you have enough plummage to cover the bottom of your baking dish.
- One large orange (this will also become part of the crumble)
- 150g of caster sugar
- Butter for greasing the baking dish
For the crunchy crumble
- 60g of caster sugar
- 60g dark brown sugar (muscovado works but I just used what I had in the house)
- 100g of cold butter (it must be cold, so straight out of the fridge)
- 100g of porridge oats (rolled or fine, preferably)
- Zest from half the orange
How to make plum crumble with orange
- Grease a standard baking dish (30cm) with butter.
- Pop your sliced plums at the bottom of the dish.
- Slice the zested orange in half and squeeze one half of the juice onto the plums.
- Cover with 150g of caster sugar.
- Set aside and turn oven on to 180C.
- To make the crumble, rub together the flour, caster sugar, dark brown sugar and cold butter until it is a crumble consistency.
- Add in the oats and zest from half an orange and mix well.
- Cover the plum base with the crumble mix
- Pop in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream or custard.